The European Medicines Agency (EMA) has been interacting with European healthcare professionals in various areas of its work since it was founded in 1995. As prescribers and handlers of the medicines that the Agency evaluates, healthcare professionals are key stakeholders in the Agency's work and have specific knowledge and expertise to offer. The Agency is committed to maintaining a strong working relationship with this group.
Key milestones of EMA interaction with healthcare professionals
Framework for interaction
In December 2011, the EMA Management Board endorsed the framework for interaction between EMA and healthcare professionals and their organisations:
The framework describes the objectives and the terms of reference for this interaction and aims to:
- support the Agency in accessing the best independent expertise in any matter related to medicines;
- contribute to more efficient and targeted communication to healthcare professionals;
- enhance understanding of the role of the EU medicines regulatory network.
This framework is in line with EMA's overarching framework for stakeholder relations management, which the EMA Management Board adopted in June 2016:
Activities of healthcare professionals
Healthcare professionals are involved in a wide range of activities at the Agency, including:
- as members of the Management Board;
- as members of its scientific committees;
- responding to specific requests from the Agency’s scientific committees and working parties;
- taking part in discussions on the development and authorisation of medicines;
- reviewing written information on medicines prepared by the Agency;
- being involved in the preparation of guidelines;
- taking part in Agency conferences and workshops.
2015 Annual Report of EMA interactions with patients, consumers, healthcare professionals and their organisations
EMA publishes an annual report on its interactions with patients, consumers and healthcare professionals incorporating both quantitative and qualitative data.
For previous reports, see Key documents.
- Getting involved
- Eligible healthcare professionals' organisations
- Healthcare Professionals' Working Party
- Resources for healthcare professionals
- Key documents
How useful is this page?
Average rating:Based on 4 ratings
Add your rating:
- See all ratings
0 ratings0 ratings0 ratings1 ratings3 ratings