Deputy Executive Director and support services
The European Medicines Agency's (EMA) Deputy Executive Director is Mr Noël Wathion.
Mr Wathion has worked at the Agency since 1996. In 2016 he was appointed Deputy Executive Director also exercising the function of Chief of Policy. Mr Wathion chairs EMA's Operations and Relocation Preparedness (ORP) Task Force, set up following the United Kingdom's decision to leave the European Union (EU).
Career to date:
- Deputy Executive Director, EMA (2016–present)
- Chief of Policy, EMA (2016–present)
- Chief Policy Adviser, EMA (2013–2016)
- Head of Stakeholders and Communication (ad interim), EMA (2013–2016)
- Head of Patient Health Protection, EMA (2009–2013)
- Head of Post-Authorisation Evaluation of Medicines for Human Use, EMA (2001–2009)
- Head of Regulatory Affairs and Pharmacovigilance, EMA (1996–2001)
- Belgian Member of the Committee for Proprietary Medicinal Products and Committee for Medicinal Products for Veterinary Use, EMA / Belgian representative on the Pharmaceutical Committee, Standing Committee and Notice to Applicants Working Group, European Commission, Brussels, Belgium (different time intervals, 1987–1996)
- Chief Inspector, acting as Secretary of the Belgian Medicines Commission, Ministry of Social Affairs, Public Health and Environment, Public Health Inspectorate, Brussels, Belgium (1987–1996)
- Pharmacist, Apotheek Bijnens Gerard, Genk, Belgium (1981–1987)
- Pharmacist, Free University Brussels, Belgium (1979)
The support services of the Deputy Executive Director are in charge of a range of activities such as:
- policy development and preparation for new/revised legislation;
- emergency and crisis management;
- liaison with the EU Institutions;
- support to the activities of the Management Board;
- management of access to documents requests;
- management of proactive publication of clinical data for medicines for human use in accordance with EMA policy 0070.
The below organisation chart shows the full structure of the support services of the Deputy Executive Director.