Blood Products Working Party
The Blood Products Working Party (BPWP) was set up by the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) to provide recommendations on all matters relating directly or indirectly to the efficacy and safety of blood products.
The BPWP's tasks include:
- preparing, reviewing and updating guidelines on assessing the efficacy and safety of blood products;
- preparing, reviewing and updating core summaries of product characteristics (SmPCs) for blood products;
- supporting dossier evaluation;
- supporting evaluation of the safety and usefulness of blood derivatives used as ancillary substances in medical devices;
- providing scientific advice to the CHMP on general and product-specific matters relating to efficacy and safety aspects of blood products;
- liaising with interested parties, such as industry, patient organisations and healthcare professional organisations;
- international co-operation;
- providing advice, through the CHMP, to the European Commission and the Mutual Recognition Facilitation Group (MRFG) on blood-product-related issues;
- providing training for assessment of blood-product efficacy and safety.
Mandate, rules of procedure and work programme
More information on the BPWP's responsibilities and composition are available in these documents:
- Mandate, objectives and rules of procedure for the temporary working parties and drafting groups
- Work plan 2018
|EMA has temporarily suspended or scaled back certain activities since 2019 based on EMA’s business continuity plan.|
The BPWP is composed of one expert per Member State, selected from the list of European experts and nominated by members of the CHMP. Additional experts and observers may also be invited to participate in the work of the BPWP, as may representatives of the European Commission.
Below (in alphabetical order of surname) are the current members of the BPWP. The members' declarations of interests are available in the European expert list.
- Sofia Bosdotter Enroth
- Angelo Ferreira da Silva
- Sara Franco
- Claudia Gramiccioni
- Vita Gulevska
- Zsofia Gyulai
- Cristiana Ilie
- Theodoros Karampinas
- Jacqueline Kerr (Chair)
- Mirco Juergen Mueller Olling
- Marissa Opelt
- Karri Penttila (Vice-Chair)
- Daniela Philadelphy
- Ita Walsh