Working Party on European Union Monographs and European Union List
The Working Party on European Union Monographs and European Union List (MLWP) was established in January 2006, replacing the temporary Safety and Efficacy Drafting Group of the Committee on Herbal Medicinal Products (HMPC). Its core task is to carry out assessment work in relation to the establishment of European Union herbal monographs and European Union list entries.
To fulfil this objective, the MLWP uses a priority list providing, for over 100 priority herbal substances, information as to whether:
- scientific data are being assessed by a rapporteur (group R);
- the rapporteur's assessment report is under discussion by the MLWP or HMPC (group D);
- a scientific opinion (in the format of a monograph or list entry) is under public consultation (group P);
- comments or new data emerging from the public consultation are under assessment (group PF);
- a final scientific opinion has been adopted (group F).
In addition, the MLWP is responsible for developing guidance relating to well-established use and traditional use legislative requirements, as well as addressing safety issues arising in the area of herbal medicinal products. Where appropriate, the MLWP coordinates its work with the Safety Working Party of the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP).
Mandate, rules of procedure and work programme
More information on the MLWP's responsibilities and composition are available in these documents:
The Working Party is composed of European experts selected from or associated with the national agencies with specific expertise in herbal medicines. Nominations for members are adopted by the HMPC.
Below (in alphabetical order of surname) are the current members of the MLWP. The members' declarations of interests are available in the European expert list.
- Alessandro Assisi
- Ewa Balkowiec Iskra
- Zsuzsanna Birone Dr Sandor
- Carlos Cavaleiro
- Ioanna Chinou (Chair)
- Pierre Duez
- Wojciech Dymowski
- Susanne Flemisch
- Gro Fossum
- Heidi Foth
- Marie Heroutova
- Werner Knöss
- Burt H Kroes (Vice-Chair)
- Gert Laekeman
- Reinhard Länger
- Olga María Palomino
- Maria Helena Pinto Ferreira
- Karin Erika Svedlund
- Barbara Toth
- Ewa Widy Tyszkiewicz
- Jacqueline Wiesner