On 25 July 2019, the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) adopted a positive opinion recommending a change to the terms of the marketing authorisation for the medicinal product Lucentis. The marketing authorisation holder for this medicinal product is Novartis Europharm Limited.
"Lucentis is indicated in adults for:
- The treatment of neovascular (wet) age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- The treatment of visual impairment due to choroidal neovascularisation (CNV)
- The treatment of visual impairment due to diabetic macular oedema (DME)
- The treatment of visual impairment due to macular oedema secondary to retinal vein occlusion (branch RVO or central RVO)
Lucentis is indicated in preterm infants for:
- The treatment of retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) with zone I (stage 1+, 2+, 3 or 3+), zone II (stage 3+) or AP-ROP (aggressive posterior ROP) disease."
Detailed recommendations for the use of this product will be described in the updated summary of product characteristics (SmPC), which will be published in the revised European public assessment report (EPAR), and will be available in all official European Union languages after a decision on this change to the marketing authorisation has been granted by the European Commission.
1New text in bold
|Agency product number||
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
Wet Macular Degeneration
|Date opinion adopted||
Meeting highlights from the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) 10-13 October 201614/10/2016