The European Medicines Agency's (EMA) Executive Director is Professor Guido Rasi.
Professor Guido Rasi began his second term as Executive Director of EMA on 16 November 2015.
From November 2014 to mid-November 2015, Professor Guido Rasi served as EMA's Principal Adviser in Charge of Strategy.
From November 2011 to November 2014 he was the Executive Director of the European Medicines Agency and a member of its Management Board in the three years prior to this.
He was Director-General of the Italian Medicines Agency from 2008 to 2011 and member of the Management Board from 2004 and 2008.
He was made full professor of microbiology at the University of Rome 'Tor Vergata' in 2008.
From 2005 to 2008 he was Director of Research at the Institute of Neurobiology and Molecular Medicine of the National Research Council (CNR) in Rome.
From 1990 to 2005 Professor Rasi worked at the Institute for Experimental Medicine of the National Research Council, Italy.
He had a teaching and research experience at the University of California, Berkeley in 1999.
Professor Rasi holds a degree in medicine and surgery, with specialisations in internal medicine, allergology and clinical immunology, from the University of Rome.
From 1978 to 1990, he worked as a physician in hospital, research and private practice. He is author of more than 100 scientific publications.
Prof Rasi was born in Padova, Italy and is married with two children.
Head of the Office of the Executive Director
Career to date:
- Head of the Office of the Executive Director, European Medicines Agency (2018-present)
- Head of the Office of the Executive Director (ad interim), European Medicines Agency (2013-2018)
- Executive Assistant, Office of the Executive Director, European Medicines Agency (2002-2013)
- Client Services Executive, Invesco Perpetual Limited (Investment Management), London, United Kingdom (1999-2001)
- Personal Assistant, Globo International (London) Limited, London, United Kingdom (1988-1999)
- Diploma in Investment Administration, Securities Institute, London, United Kingdom (2001)
- Introduction to Securities and Investment Certificate, Securities Institute, London, United Kingdom (2000)
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Business Administration, University of Westminster, London, United Kingdom (1998)
- BTEC Higher National Certificate in Business and Finance, Hammersmith College, London, United Kingdom (1993)