Table of contents
Kymriah is a medicine for treating the following types of blood cancer:
• B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL), in children and young adults up to 25 years of age whose cancer did not respond to previous treatment, has come back two or more times, or has come back after a transplant of stem cells;
• Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) and follicular lymphoma (FL) in adults whose cancer has come back or did not respond after two or more previous treatments.
Kymriah is a type of advanced therapy medicine called a ‘gene therapy product’. This is a type of medicine that works by delivering genes into the body.
The blood cancers that Kymriah is used to treat are rare, and Kymriah was designated an ‘orphan medicine’ (a medicine used in rare diseases) for B-cell ALL on 29 April 2014, DLBCL on 14 October 2016 and FL on 19 July 2021.
Kymriah contains the active substance tisagenlecleucel (consisting of genetically modified white blood cells).
Kymriah : EPAR - Medicine overview (PDF/144.91 KB)
First published: 19/09/2018
Last updated: 19/05/2022
Kymriah : EPAR - Risk-management-plan summary (PDF/138.31 KB)
First published: 19/09/2018
Last updated: 24/10/2022
|Agency product number||
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
This medicine is under additional monitoring, meaning that it is monitored even more intensively than other medicines. For more information, see Medicines under additional monitoring.
This medicine was designated an orphan medicine. This means that it was developed for use against a rare, life-threatening or chronically debilitating condition or, for economic reasons, it would be unlikely to have been developed without incentives. For more information, see Orphan designation.
Novartis Europharm Limited
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
28/10/2022 Kymriah - EMEA/H/C/004090 - IB/0064/G
This medicine’s product information is available in all official EU languages.
Select ‘available languages’ to access the language you need.
Product information documents contain:
- summary of product characteristics (annex I);
- manufacturing authorisation holder responsible for batch release (annex IIA);
- conditions of the marketing authorisation (annex IIB);
- labelling (annex IIIA);
- package leaflet (annex IIIB).
You can find product information documents for centrally authorised human medicines on this website. For centrally authorised veterinary medicines authorised or updated from February 2022, see the Veterinary Medicines Information website.
Kymriah is indicated for the treatment of:
• Paediatric and young adult patients up to and including 25 years of age with B cell acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) that is refractory, in relapse post transplant or in second or later relapse.
• Adult patients with relapsed or refractory diffuse large B cell lymphoma (DLBCL) after two or more lines of systemic therapy.
• Adult patients with relapsed or refractory follicular lymphoma (FL) after two or more lines of systemic therapy.