Sitagliptin SUN is a medicine used to control blood glucose (sugar) levels in adults with type 2 diabetes. It is used together with diet and exercise in the following ways:
- on its own, in patients whose blood glucose levels are not satisfactorily controlled with diet and exercise and who cannot take metformin (a diabetes medicine);
- in combination with metformin or a PPAR-gamma agonist (a type of diabetes medicine) such as a thiazolidinedione, in patients whose blood glucose levels are not satisfactorily controlled with metformin or the PPAR-gamma agonist used on its own;
- in combination with a sulphonylurea (another diabetes medicine) in patients whose blood glucose levels are not satisfactorily controlled with a sulphonylurea used on its own and who cannot take metformin;
- in combination with both metformin and a sulphonylurea or a PPAR-gamma agonist, in patients whose blood glucose levels are not satisfactorily controlled with the two medicines;
- in combination with insulin, with or without metformin, in patients whose blood glucose levels are not satisfactorily controlled with a stable dose of insulin.
Sitagliptin SUN contains the active substance sitagliptin and is a ‘generic medicine’. This means that Sitagliptin SUN contains the same active substance and works in the same way as a ‘reference medicine’ already authorised in the EU called Januvia. For more information on generic medicines, see the question-and-answer document here.
Sitagliptin SUN : EPAR - Medicine overview (PDF/168.09 KB)
First published: 17/01/2022
Sitagliptin SUN : EPAR - Risk management plan summary (PDF/122.17 KB)
First published: 17/01/2022
|Agency product number||
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
Diabetes Mellitus, Type 2
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
This is a generic medicine, which is developed to be the same as a medicine that has already been authorised, called the reference medicine. A generic medicine contains the same active substance(s) as the reference medicine, and is used at the same dose(s) to treat the same disease(s). For more information, see Generic and hybrid medicines.
Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Europe B.V.
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
08/07/2022 Sitagliptin SUN - EMEA/H/C/005741 - IB/0002
This medicine’s product information is available in all official EU languages.
Select ‘available languages’ to access the language you need.
Product information documents contain:
- summary of product characteristics (annex I);
- manufacturing authorisation holder responsible for batch release (annex IIA);
- conditions of the marketing authorisation (annex IIB);
- labelling (annex IIIA);
- package leaflet (annex IIIB).
You can find product information documents for centrally authorised human medicines on this website. For centrally authorised veterinary medicines authorised or updated from February 2022, see the Veterinary Medicines Information website.
Drugs used in diabetes
For adult patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus, Sitagliptin SUN is indicated to improve glycaemic control: