Table of contents
Bavencio is a cancer medicine used to treat adults with:
- Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC, a type of skin cancer), when the cancer has spread to other parts of the body;
- Renal cell carcinoma (RCC, a cancer of the kidney), when the cancer is advanced; Bavencio is used in combination with another cancer medicine, axitinib;
- Urothelial carcinoma (a type of bladder cancer), when the cancer is locally advanced or has spread to other parts of the body in patients whose cancer had not got worse after platinum-based chemotherapy.
Bavencio contains the active substance avelumab.
Bavencio : EPAR - Medicine overview (PDF/158.66 KB)
First published: 13/10/2017
Last updated: 26/07/2022
Bavencio : EPAR - Risk-management-plan summary (PDF/329.25 KB)
First published: 04/11/2019
Last updated: 11/02/2021
|Agency product number||
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
This medicine is under additional monitoring, meaning that it is monitored even more intensively than other medicines. For more information, see Medicines under additional monitoring.
Merck Europe B.V.
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
Gustav Mahlerplein 102
15/12/2022 Bavencio - EMEA/H/C/004338 - IB/0038
This medicine’s product information is available in all official EU languages.
Select ‘available languages’ to access the language you need.
Product information documents contain:
- summary of product characteristics (annex I);
- manufacturing authorisation holder responsible for batch release (annex IIA);
- conditions of the marketing authorisation (annex IIB);
- labelling (annex IIIA);
- package leaflet (annex IIIB).
You can find product information documents for centrally authorised human medicines on this website. For centrally authorised veterinary medicines authorised or updated from February 2022, see the Veterinary Medicines Information website.
Other antineoplastic agents
Bavencio is indicated as monotherapy for the treatment of adult patients with metastatic Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC).
Bavencio in combination with axitinib is indicated for the first-line treatment of adult patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC).
Bavencio is indicated as monotherapy for the first‑line maintenance treatment of adult patients with locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma (UC) who are progression-free following platinum‑based chemotherapy.