Table of contents
Carmustine Obvius is a cancer medicine that is used, on its own or with other cancer medicines and treatments, to treat the following types of cancer:
• brain tumours, both those that develop directly in the brain and cancers that have spread from elsewhere in the body (metastatic brain tumours);
• Hodgkin’s lymphoma and non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas, types of cancer that originate from white blood cells. The medicine is used when initial treatment has not worked or the cancer has come back;
• tumours of stomach and bowel;
• malignant melanoma (a type of skin cancer).
Carmustine Obvius is also used as a ‘conditioning’ treatment before transplantation of the patient’s own haematopoietic progenitor cells (immature cells that are able to produce the cells of the blood) to treat Hodgkin’s lymphoma and non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas. It is used to clear the patient’s bone marrow and make room for the transplanted cells.
Carmustine Obvius contains the active substance carmustine and is a ‘generic medicine’. This means that Carmustine Obvius contains the same active substance and works in the same way as a ‘reference medicine’ already authorised in the EU called Carmubris.
Carmustine Obvius : EPAR - Medicine overview (PDF/172.57 KB)
First published: 20/08/2018
Last updated: 21/03/2022
Carmustine Obvius : EPAR - Risk-management-plan summary (PDF/166.17 KB)
First published: 23/06/2020
|Agency product number||
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
This is a generic medicine, which is developed to be the same as a medicine that has already been authorised, called the reference medicine. A generic medicine contains the same active substance(s) as the reference medicine, and is used at the same dose(s) to treat the same disease(s). For more information, see Generic and hybrid medicines.
Obvius Investment B.V.
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
De Cuserstraat 93
1081 CN Amsterdam
29/11/2021 Carmustine Obvius - EMEA/H/C/004326 - IB/0007/G
This medicine’s product information is available in all official EU languages.
Select ‘available languages’ to access the language you need.
Product information documents contain:
- summary of product characteristics (annex I);
- manufacturing authorisation holder responsible for batch release (annex IIA);
- conditions of the marketing authorisation (annex IIB);
- labelling (annex IIIA);
- package leaflet (annex IIIB).
You can find product information documents for centrally authorised human medicines on this website. For centrally authorised veterinary medicines authorised or updated from February 2022, see the Veterinary Medicines Information website.
Carmustine is effective in the following malignant neoplasms as a single agent or in combination with other antineoplastic agents and/or other therapeutic measures (radiotherapy, surgery):
- Brain tumours (glioblastoma, brain-stem gliomas, medulloblastoma, astrocytoma and ependymoma), brain metastases
- Secondary therapy in non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and Hodgkin’s disease
- as conditioning treatment prior to autologous haematopoietic progenitor cell transplantation (HPCT) in malignant haematological diseases (Hodgkin’s disease / Non-hodgkin’s lymphoma).