This is a summary of the European public assessment report (EPAR) for Galvus. It explains how the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) assessed the medicine to reach its opinion in favour of granting a marketing authorisation and its recommendations on the conditions of use for Galvus.
Galvus : EPAR - Summary for the public (PDF/84.64 KB)
First published: 11/03/2008
Last updated: 21/02/2013
|Agency product number||
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
Diabetes Mellitus, Type 2
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
Novartis Europharm Limited
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
01/10/2020 Galvus - EMEA/H/C/000771 - WS/1907/G
- Annex I - Summary of product characteristics
- Annex IIA - Manufacturing-authorisation holder responsible for batch release
- Annex IIB - Conditions of the marketing authorisation
- Annex IIIA - Labelling
- Annex IIIB - Package leaflet
Please note that the size of the above document can exceed 50 pages.
You are therefore advised to be selective about which sections or pages you wish to print.
Drugs used in diabetes
Vildagliptin is indicated in the treatment of type-2 diabetes mellitus in adults:
- in patients inadequately controlled by diet and exercise alone and for whom metformin is inappropriate due to contraindications or intolerance;
as dual oral therapy in combination with:
- metformin, in patients with insufficient glycaemic control despite maximal tolerated dose of monotherapy with metformin;
- a sulphonylurea, in patients with insufficient glycaemic control despite maximal tolerated dose of a sulphonylurea and for whom metformin is inappropriate due to contraindications or intolerance;
- a thiazolidinedione, in patients with insufficient glycaemic control and for whom the use of a thiazolidinedione is appropriate;
as triple oral therapy in combination with:
- a sulphonylurea and metformin when diet and exercise plus dual therapy with these medicinal products do not provide adequate glycaemic control.
Vildagliptin is also indicated for use in combination with insulin (with or without metformin) when diet and exercise plus a stable dose of insulin do not provide adequate glycaemic control.
European Medicines Agency investigates findings on pancreatic risks with GLP-1-based therapies for type-2 diabetes26/03/2013
Meeting highlights from the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) 17-20 September 201221/09/2012
Meeting highlights from the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) 12-15 December 201116/12/2011