Table of contents
Stayveer is used to treat patients with class III pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) to improve exercise capacity (the ability to carry out physical activity) and reduce symptoms. PAH is abnormally high blood pressure in the arteries of the lungs. The ‘class’ reflects the severity of the disease: ‘class III’ PAH involves marked limitation of physical activity. The PAH can be:
- primary (with no identified cause or inherited);
- caused by scleroderma (also called systemic sclerosis, a disease where there is abnormal growth of the connective tissue that supports the skin and other organs);
- caused by congenital (inborn) heart defects with shunts (abnormal passageways) causing abnormal flow of blood through the heart and
Some improvement with Stayveer can also occur in patients with class II PAH. ‘Class II’ involves slight limitation of physical activity.
Stayveer can also be used in adults with systemic sclerosis in whom poor blood circulation caused by the disease has led to the development of digital ulcers (sores on the fingers and toes). Stayveer is given to reduce the number of new digital ulcers.
Stayveer contains the active substance bosentan. This medicine is the same as Tracleer, which is already authorised in the EU. The company that makes Tracleer has agreed that its scientific data can be used for Stayveer (‘informed consent’).
Stayveer : EPAR - Medicine overview (PDF/140.59 KB)
First published: 02/07/2013
Last updated: 04/12/2019
Stayveer : EPAR - Risk-management-plan summary (PDF/76.73 KB)
First published: 27/08/2019
|Agency product number||
bosentan (as monohydrate)
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
Janssen-Cilag International NV
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
09/02/2023 Stayveer - EMEA/H/C/002644 - WS/2404
This medicine’s product information is available in all official EU languages.
Select ‘available languages’ to access the language you need.
Product information documents contain:
- summary of product characteristics (annex I);
- manufacturing authorisation holder responsible for batch release (annex IIA);
- conditions of the marketing authorisation (annex IIB);
- labelling (annex IIIA);
- package leaflet (annex IIIB).
You can find product information documents for centrally authorised human medicines on this website. For centrally authorised veterinary medicines authorised or updated from February 2022, see the Veterinary Medicines Information website.
Treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) to improve exercise capacity and symptoms in patients with World Health Organization (WHO) functional class III. Efficacy has been shown in:
- primary (idiopathic and familial) PAH;
- PAH secondary to scleroderma without significant interstitial pulmonary disease;
- PAH associated with congenital systemic-to-pulmonary shunts and Eisenmenger’s physiology.
Some improvements have also been shown in patients with PAH WHO functional class II.
Stayveer is also indicated to reduce the number of new digital ulcers in patients with systemic sclerosis and ongoing digital-ulcer disease.