This is a summary of the European public assessment report (EPAR) for Zeffix. It explains how the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) assessed the medicine to reach its opinion in favour of granting a marketing authorisation and its recommendations on the conditions of use for Zeffix.
Zeffix : EPAR - Summary for the public (PDF/108.73 KB)
First published: 11/09/2009
Last updated: 06/06/2016
|Agency product number||
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
Hepatitis B, Chronic
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
GlaxoSmithKline (Ireland) Limited
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
18/07/2022 Zeffix - EMEA/H/C/000242 - IAIN/0084
This medicine’s product information is available in all official EU languages.
Select ‘available languages’ to access the language you need.
Product information documents contain:
- summary of product characteristics (annex I);
- manufacturing authorisation holder responsible for batch release (annex IIA);
- conditions of the marketing authorisation (annex IIB);
- labelling (annex IIIA);
- package leaflet (annex IIIB).
You can find product information documents for centrally authorised human medicines on this website. For centrally authorised veterinary medicines authorised or updated from February 2022, see the Veterinary Medicines Information website.
Antivirals for systemic use
Zeffix is indicated for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B in adults with:
- compensated liver disease with evidence of active viral replication, persistently elevated serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT) levels and histological evidence of active liver inflammation and / or fibrosis. Initiation of lamivudine treatment should only be considered when the use of an alternative antiviral agent with a higher genetic barrier is not available or appropriate;
- decompensated liver disease in combination with a second agent without cross-resistance to lamivudine.