Zirabev is a cancer medicine that is used to treat adults with the following cancers:
- cancer of the colon (large bowel) or the rectum (the last section of the bowel), when it has spread to other parts of the body;
- breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body;
- a lung cancer called non-small cell lung cancer when it is advanced or has spread or come back, and cannot be treated with surgery. Zirabev can be used unless the cancer originates in particular cells called squamous cells;
- cancer of the kidney (renal cell carcinoma) that is advanced or has spread elsewhere;
- epithelial cancer of the ovary, cancer of the fallopian tube (that connect the ovaries to the womb) or the peritoneum (the membrane lining the abdomen) when the cancer is advanced, or in previously treated patients whose cancer has come back (recurrent);
- cancer of the cervix (the neck of the womb) that has persisted or come back after treatment, or spread to other parts of the body.
Zirabev is used in combination with other cancer medicines, depending on previous treatments or the presence of mutations (genetic changes) in the cancer that affect how well particular medicines work.
Zirabev contains the active substance bevacizumab and it is a ‘biosimilar medicine’. This means that Zirabev is highly similar to another biological medicine (the ‘reference medicine’) that is already authorised in the EU. The reference medicine for Zirabev is Avastin.
Zirabev : EPAR - Medicine overview (PDF/148.1 KB)
First published: 16/04/2019
Last updated: 11/02/2020
Zirabev : EPAR - Risk-management-plan summary (PDF/1.17 MB)
First published: 16/04/2019
|Agency product number||
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
Pfizer Europe MA EEIG
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
Boulevard de la Plaine 17
09/12/2022 Zirabev - EMEA/H/C/004697 - PSUSA/00000403/202202
This medicine’s product information is available in all official EU languages.
Select ‘available languages’ to access the language you need.
Product information documents contain:
- summary of product characteristics (annex I);
- manufacturing authorisation holder responsible for batch release (annex IIA);
- conditions of the marketing authorisation (annex IIB);
- labelling (annex IIIA);
- package leaflet (annex IIIB).
You can find product information documents for centrally authorised human medicines on this website. For centrally authorised veterinary medicines authorised or updated from February 2022, see the Veterinary Medicines Information website.
Zirabev in combination with fluoropyrimidine-based chemotherapy is indicated for treatment of adult patients with metastatic carcinoma of the colon or rectum.
Zirabev in combination with paclitaxel is indicated for first-line treatment of adult patients with metastatic breast cancer. For further information as to human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) status.
Zirabev, in addition to platinum-based chemotherapy, is indicated for first-line treatment of adult patients with unresectable advanced, metastatic or recurrent non-small cell lung cancer other than predominantly squamous cell histology.
Zirabev in combination with interferon alfa-2a is indicated for first line treatment of adult patients with advanced and/or metastatic renal cell cancer.
Zirabev, in combination with paclitaxel and cisplatin or, alternatively, paclitaxel and topotecan in patients who cannot receive platinum therapy, is indicated for the treatment of adult patients with persistent, recurrent, or metastatic carcinoma of the cervix.