Table of contents
Ferriprox is an ‘iron chelator’ (a substance that attaches to iron) that is used to treat iron overload (an excess of iron in the body) in patients with thalassaemia major. This is an inherited disease in which patients are unable to make enough haemoglobin, the protein found in red blood cells that carries oxygen around the body.
Ferriprox is used:
- on its own, when standard iron chelator treatment cannot be used or does not work well enough;
- in combination with another iron chelator, when treatment with one iron chelator on its own does not work or when iron levels need to be rapidly or intensively corrected to prevent or treat life-threatening conditions (mainly affecting the heart).
Ferriprox contains the active substance deferiprone.
Ferriprox : EPAR - Medicine overview (PDF/107.27 KB)
First published: 28/10/2009
Last updated: 28/10/2019
Ferriprox : EPAR - Risk management plan (PDF/732.51 KB)
First published: 26/03/2019
Last updated: 27/02/2023
|Agency product number||
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
Chiesi Farmaceutici S.p.A.
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
Via Palermo 26/A
30/09/2022 Ferriprox - EMEA/H/C/000236 - IB/0158
This medicine’s product information is available in all official EU languages.
Select ‘available languages’ to access the language you need.
Product information documents contain:
- summary of product characteristics (annex I);
- manufacturing authorisation holder responsible for batch release (annex IIA);
- conditions of the marketing authorisation (annex IIB);
- labelling (annex IIIA);
- package leaflet (annex IIIB).
You can find product information documents for centrally authorised human medicines on this website. For centrally authorised veterinary medicines authorised or updated from February 2022, see the Veterinary Medicines Information website.
All other therapeutic products
Ferriprox monotherapy is indicated for the treatment of iron overload in patients with thalassaemia major when current chelation therapy is contraindicated or inadequate.
Ferriprox in combination with another chelator is indicated in patients with thalassaemia major when monotherapy with any iron chelator is ineffective, or when prevention or treatment of life-threatening consequences of iron overload (mainly cardiac overload) justifies rapid or intensive correction.