Tenofovir disoproxil Zentiva
This is a summary of the European public assessment report (EPAR) for Tenofovir disoproxil Zentiva. It explains how the Agency assessed the medicine to recommend its authorisation in the EU and its conditions of use. It is not intended to provide practical advice on how to use Tenofovir disoproxil Zentiva.
For practical information about using Tenofovir disoproxil Zentiva, patients should read the package leaflet or contact their doctor or pharmacist.
Tenofovir disoproxil Zentiva : EPAR - Summary for the public (PDF/88.11 KB)
First published: 13/03/2017
Last updated: 13/03/2017
Tenofovir disoproxil Zentiva : EPAR - Risk-management-plan summary (PDF/519.17 KB)
First published: 20/03/2019
Last updated: 29/10/2019
Tenofovir disoproxil Zentiva
|Agency product number||
tenofovir disoproxil phosphate
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
This is a generic medicine, which is developed to be the same as a medicine that has already been authorised, called the reference medicine. A generic medicine contains the same active substance(s) as the reference medicine, and is used at the same dose(s) to treat the same disease(s). For more information, see Generic and hybrid medicines.
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
U Kabelovny 130
Dolni Mecholupy 102 37
17/03/2022 Tenofovir disoproxil Zentiva - EMEA/H/C/004120 - N/0026
Product information documents contain:
- summary of product characteristics (annex I);
- manufacturing authorisation holder responsible for batch release (annex IIA);
- conditions of the marketing authorisation (annex IIB);
- labelling (annex IIIA);
- package leaflet (annex IIIB).
You can find product information documents for centrally authorised human medicines on this website. For centrally authorised veterinary medicines authorised or updated from February 2022, see the Veterinary Medicines Information website.
Antivirals for systemic use
Tenofovir disoproxil Zentiva is indicated in combination with other antiretroviral medicinal products for the treatment of HIV‑1 infected adults.
In adults, the demonstration of the benefit of tenofovir disoproxil in HIV‑1 infection is based on results of one study in treatment‑naïve patients, including patients with a high viral load (> 100,000 copies/ml) and studies in which tenofovir disoproxil was added to stable background therapy (mainly tritherapy) in antiretroviral pre‑treated patients experiencing early virological failure (< 10,000 copies/ml, with the majority of patients having < 5,000 copies/ml).
Tenofovir disoproxil Zentiva is also indicated for the treatment of HIV‑1 infected adolescents, with NRTI (nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitor) resistance or toxicities precluding the use of first line agents, aged 12 to < 18 years.
The choice of Tenofovir disoproxil Zentiva to treat antiretroviral‑experienced patients with HIV‑1 infection should be based on individual viral resistance testing and/or treatment history of patients.
Hepatitis B infection
Tenofovir disoproxil Zentiva is indicated for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B in adults with:
- compensated liver disease, with evidence of active viral replication, persistently elevated serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT) levels and histological evidence of active inflammation and/or fibrosis (see section 5.1);
- evidence of lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B virus (see sections 4.8 and 5.1);
- decompensated liver disease (see sections 4.4, 4.8 and 5.1).
Tenofovir disoproxil Zentiva is indicated for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B in adolescents 12 to < 18 years of age with:
- compensated liver disease and evidence of immune active disease, i.e. active viral replication, persistently elevated serum ALT levels and histological evidence of active inflammation and/or fibrosis (see sections 4.4, 4.8 and 5.1).