Workshop on clinical-trial data and transparency this afternoon
The European Medicines Agency's workshop on access to clinical-trial data and transparency is taking place this afternoon between 1.00 and 5.00pm London time.
The workshop follows the Agency's decision to proactively publish clinical-trial data and enable access to full data sets by interested parties. However, before this can be achieved, there are a number of practical and policy issues that need to be addressed.
The workshop is intended to elicit the views, interests, and concerns from a broad range of institutions, groups and individuals. Speakers include:
- Virginia Barbour (PLoS Medicine);
- Giovanni Buttarelli (Deputy European Data Protection Supervisor);
- Susan Forda (European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations, EFPIA);
- Ben Goldacre (author and journalist);
- Peter Gøtzsche (Cochrane Collaboration);
- Gerhard Grill (Office of the European Ombudsman);
- Peter Høngaard Andersen (EFPIA);
- François Houÿez (Eurordis).
The workshop will be moderated by Sir Mark Walport, Director of the Wellcome Trust. The Agency's Executive Director, Guido Rasi, and Senior Medical Officer, Hans-Georg Eichler, will also address the workshop.
Results from the workshop will help the Agency define the modalities of proactive access to clinical-trial data, in a way that best serves patients and public health.