Darzalex is a cancer medicine used to treat adults with multiple myeloma (a cancer of the bone marrow). It is used:
- in combination with the medicines bortezomib, melphalan and prednisone in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma who are not eligible for autologous stem cell transplant (a transplant of the patient's own blood-producing cells). Bortezomib and melphalan are used for treating multiple myeloma and prednisone suppresses the immune system;
- on its own when the disease has come back after treatment with cancer medicines (including medicines known as proteasome inhibitors) and immunomodulatory medicines (that act on the immune system), or when the disease has not improved with these medicines;
- in combination with dexamethasone (a medicine that suppresses the immune system) plus either lenalidomide or bortezomib in patients who have previously received other treatment for the disease. Lenalidomide and bortezomib are medicines used for treating multiple myeloma.
Multiple myeloma is rare and Darzalex was designated an ‘orphan medicine’ (a medicine used in rare diseases) on 17 July 2013.
Darzalex contains the active substance daratumumab.
Darzalex : EPAR - Medicine overview (PDF/88.63 KB)
First published: 27/05/2016
Last updated: 21/09/2018
Darzalex : EPAR - Risk-management-plan summary (PDF/151.4 KB)
First published: 21/09/2018
Last updated: 19/08/2019
|Agency product number||
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
Janssen-Cilag International N.V.
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
28/06/2019 Darzalex - EMEA/H/C/004077 - II/0027
- Annex I - Summary of product characteristics
- Annex IIA - Manufacturing-authorisation holder responsible for batch release
- Annex IIB - Conditions of the marketing authorisation
- Annex IIIA - Labelling
- Annex IIIB - Package leaflet
Please note that the size of the above document can exceed 50 pages.
You are therefore advised to be selective about which sections or pages you wish to print.
Darzalex is indicated:
- as monotherapy for the treatment of adult patients with relapsed and refractory multiple myeloma, whose prior therapy included a proteasome inhibitor and an immunomodulatory agent and who have demonstrated disease progression on the last therapy.
- in combination with lenalidomide and dexamethasone, or bortezomib and dexamethasone,for the treatment of adult patients with multiple myeloma who have received at least one prior therapy.
Meeting highlights from the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) 14-17 October 201918/10/2019
Meeting highlights from the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) 20-23 February 201724/02/2017
Meeting highlights from the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) 29 March - 1 April 201601/04/2016