Table of contents
Orencia is a medicine that is often used in combination with methotrexate (a medicine that acts on the immune system) to treat the following diseases:
- moderate to severe active rheumatoid arthritis (an immune system disease causing damage and inflammation in the joints) in adults using it in combination with methotrexate when other medicines including methotrexate or a ‘tumour necrosis factor (TNF) blocker’ have not worked well enough;
- highly active and progressive rheumatoid arthritis, used in combination with methotrexate in adults who have not previously been treated with methotrexate;
- moderate to severe active polyarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis (a rare childhood disease causing inflammation of many joints), in adolescents and children from 2 years of age in whom other medicines have not worked well enough. It is used in combination with methotrexate, or on its own in patients who cannot take methotrexate.
- psoriatic arthritis (arthritis combined with psoriasis, a condition causing red, scaly patches on the skin) in adults in whom treatment with other medicines, including methotrexate, has not worked well enough. It is used alone or in combination with methotrexate for patients who do not need other medicines by mouth or by injection to control their psoriasis.
Orencia contains the active substance abatacept.
Orencia : EPAR - Medicine overview (PDF/95.67 KB)
First published: 05/06/2007
Last updated: 12/04/2019
Orencia : EPAR - Risk-management-plan summary (PDF/354.17 KB)
First published: 12/04/2019
Last updated: 19/07/2019
|Agency product number||
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharma EEIG
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
17/02/2022 Orencia - EMEA/H/C/000701 - IAIN/0150/G
This medicine’s product information is available in all official EU languages.
Select ‘available languages’ to access the language you need.
Product information documents contain:
- summary of product characteristics (annex I);
- manufacturing authorisation holder responsible for batch release (annex IIA);
- conditions of the marketing authorisation (annex IIB);
- labelling (annex IIIA);
- package leaflet (annex IIIB).
You can find product information documents for centrally authorised human medicines on this website. For centrally authorised veterinary medicines authorised or updated from February 2022, see the Veterinary Medicines Information website.
Orencia, in combination with methotrexate, is indicated for:
- the treatment of moderate to severe active rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in adult patients who responded inadequately to previous therapy with one or more disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) including methotrexate (MTX) or a tumour necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha inhibitor.
- the treatment of highly active and progressive disease in adult patients with rheumatoid arthritis not previously treated with methotrexate.
A reduction in the progression of joint damage and improvement of physical function have been demonstrated during combination treatment with abatacept and methotrexate.
Orencia, alone or in combination with methotrexate (MTX), is indicated for the treatment of active psoriatic arthritis (PsA) in adult patients when the response to previous DMARD therapy including MTX has been inadequate, and for whom additional systemic therapy for psoriatic skin lesions is not required.
Polyarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis
Orencia in combination with methotrexate is indicated for the treatment of moderate to severe active polyarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis (pJIA) in paediatric patients 2 years of age and older who have had an inadequate response to previous DMARD therapy.
Orencia can be given as monotherapy in case of intolerance to methotrexate or when treatment with methotrexate is inappropriate.
Meeting highlights from the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) 28-31 January 201901/02/2019