This is a summary of the European public assessment report (EPAR) for Plavix. It explains how the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) assessed the medicine to reach its opinion in favour of granting a marketing authorisation and its recommendations on the conditions of use for Plavix.
Plavix : EPAR - Summary for the public (PDF/63.87 KB)
First published: 13/10/2009
Last updated: 01/04/2011
|Agency product number||
clopidogrel hydrogen sulfate
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
Sanofi Clir SNC
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
25/10/2018 Plavix - EMEA/H/C/000174 - WS/1433
- Annex I - Summary of product characteristics
- Annex IIA - Manufacturing-authorisation holder responsible for batch release
- Annex IIB - Conditions of the marketing authorisation
- Annex IIIA - Labelling
- Annex IIIB - Package leaflet
Please note that the size of the above document can exceed 50 pages.
You are therefore advised to be selective about which sections or pages you wish to print.
Secondary prevention of atherothrombotic events
Clopidogrel is indicated in:
- adult patients suffering from myocardial infarction (from a few days until less than 35 days), ischaemic stroke (from seven days until less than six months) or established peripheral arterial disease;
- adult patients suffering from acute coronary syndrome:
- non-ST-segment-elevation acute coronary syndrome (unstable angina or non-Q-wave myocardial infarction), including patients undergoing a stent placement following percutaneous coronary intervention, in combination with acetylsalicylic acid (ASA);
- ST-segment-elevation acute myocardial infarction, in combination with ASA in medically treated patients eligible for thrombolytic therapy.
Prevention of atherothrombotic and thromboembolic events in atrial fibrillation
In adult patients with atrial fibrillation who have at least one risk factor for vascular events, are not suitable for treatment with vitamin-K antagonists and who have a low bleeding risk, clopidogrel is indicated in combination with ASA for the prevention of atherothrombotic and thromboembolic events, including stroke.