sitagliptin / metformin
This is a summary of the European public assessment report (EPAR) for Janumet. It explains how the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) assessed the medicine to reach its opinion in favour of granting a marketing authorisation and its recommendations on the conditions of use for Janumet.
Janumet : EPAR - Summary for the public (PDF/81.49 KB)
First published: 09/12/2009
Last updated: 05/07/2013
Janumet : EPAR - Risk management plan (PDF/3.59 MB) (new)
First published: 18/11/2022
|Agency product number||
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
Diabetes Mellitus, Type 2
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
Merck Sharp & Dohme B.V.
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
16/09/2021 Janumet - EMEA/H/C/000861 - WS2091
This medicine’s product information is available in all official EU languages.
Select ‘available languages’ to access the language you need.
Product information documents contain:
- summary of product characteristics (annex I);
- manufacturing authorisation holder responsible for batch release (annex IIA);
- conditions of the marketing authorisation (annex IIB);
- labelling (annex IIIA);
- package leaflet (annex IIIB).
You can find product information documents for centrally authorised human medicines on this website. For centrally authorised veterinary medicines authorised or updated from February 2022, see the Veterinary Medicines Information website.
Drugs used in diabetes
For patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus:
- Janumet is indicated as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycaemic control in patients inadequately controlled on their maximal tolerated dose of metformin alone or those already being treated with the combination of sitagliptin and metformin.
- Janumet is indicated in combination with a sulphonylurea (i.e., triple combination therapy) as an adjunct to diet and exercise in patients inadequately controlled on their maximal tolerated dose of metformin and a sulphonylurea.
- Janumet is indicated as triple combination therapy with a PPAR agonist (i.e., a thiazolidinedione) as an adjunct to diet and exercise in patients inadequately controlled on their maximal tolerated dose of metformin and a PPAR agonist.
- Janumet is also indicated as add on to insulin (i.e., triple combination therapy) as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycaemic control in patients when stable dosage of insulin and metformin alone do not provide adequate glycaemic control.
European Medicines Agency investigates findings on pancreatic risks with GLP-1-based therapies for type-2 diabetes26/03/2013