Posaconazole Accord is an antifungal medicine used to treat adults with the following fungal diseases, when treatments with other antifungal medicines (amphotericin B, itraconazole or fluconazole) cannot be tolerated or have failed:
- invasive aspergillosis (fungal infection caused by Aspergillus),
- fusariosis (fungal infection caused by Fusarium),
- chromoblastomycosis and mycetoma (long-term fungal infections of the skin or the tissue just below the skin, usually caused by fungal spores infecting wounds due to thorns or splinters),
- coccidioidomycosis (fungal infection of the lungs caused by breathing in spores).
Posaconazole Accord is also used to prevent invasive fungal infections in patients whose immune system is weakened because of treatments they are receiving for blood or bone marrow cancers or medicines used in haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (a procedure where the patient’s bone marrow is replaced by stem cells from a donor to form new bone marrow).
Posaconazole Accord contains the active substance posaconazole and is a ‘generic medicine’. This means that Posaconazole Accord contains the same active substance and works in the same way as a ‘reference medicine’ already authorised in the EU called Noxafil.
For more information on generic medicines, see the question-and-answer document below.
Posaconazole Accord : EPAR - Medicine overview (PDF/200.98 KB)
First published: 28/08/2019
Posaconazole Accord : EPAR - Risk-management-plan summary (PDF/116.74 KB)
First published: 28/08/2019
|Agency product number||
|International non-proprietary name (INN) or common name||
|Therapeutic area (MeSH)||
|Anatomical therapeutic chemical (ATC) code||
This is a generic medicine, which is developed to be the same as a medicine that has already been authorised, called the reference medicine. A generic medicine contains the same active substance(s) as the reference medicine, and is used at the same dose(s) to treat the same disease(s). For more information, see Generic and hybrid medicines.
Accord Healthcare S.L.U.
|Date of issue of marketing authorisation valid throughout the European Union||
25/07/2019 Posaconazole Accord - EMEA/H/C/005005 -
- Annex I - Summary of product characteristics
- Annex IIA - Manufacturing-authorisation holder responsible for batch release
- Annex IIB - Conditions of the marketing authorisation
- Annex IIIA - Labelling
- Annex IIIB - Package leaflet
Please note that the size of the above document can exceed 50 pages.
You are therefore advised to be selective about which sections or pages you wish to print.
Antimycotics for systemic use
Posaconazole Accord is indicated for use in the treatment of the following fungal infections in adults:
- Invasive aspergillosis in patients with disease that is refractory to amphotericin B or itraconazole or in patients who are intolerant of these medicinal products;
- Fusariosis in patients with disease that is refractory to amphotericin B or in patients who are intolerant of amphotericin B;
- Chromoblastomycosis and mycetoma in patients with disease that is refractory to itraconazole or in patients who are intolerant of itraconazole;
- Coccidioidomycosis in patients with disease that is refractory to amphotericin B, itraconazole or fluconazole or in patients who are intolerant of these medicinal products.
Refractoriness is defined as progression of infection or failure to improve after a minimum of 7 days of prior therapeutic doses of effective antifungal therapy.
Posaconazole Accord is also indicated for prophylaxis of invasive fungal infections in the following patients:
- Patients receiving remission-induction chemotherapy for acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) or myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) expected to result in prolonged neutropenia and who are at high risk of developing invasive fungal infections;
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT) recipients who are undergoing high-dose immunosuppressive therapy for graft versus host disease and who are at high risk of developing invasive fungal infections.